Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Different forms of Prayer for Retreat


Fr. John Meehan's words on prayer.
Shortened for a two blog format.

First Part



Every human being seems to have a deep personal conviction that she or he is distinctly different from every other person. There are many qualities in common and others that are different. The similarities are very helpful for us in learning to live with one another whereas the differences give us each the uniqueness that makes such living together interesting and creative. In some cultures, over the course of history and even in some now not existent, there has been a tendency to live and to operate as if every one is somehow the same . Today most would agree that this tendency is a mistake. This is particularly true in the realm of spirituality. Thus even in prayer one person will discover his or her self very different from others. To adequately work this out for my own life, I have to experiment and discover the prayer forms that are most valid for me. As Anthony De Mello says about the prayer life " Don't cut the person to fit the coat and the Sun that gives sight to the eagle blinds the owl."



I need to experiment and discover my own best prayer forms for this time in my life. As I change I will realize that my prayer often needs to change as well. What is valid and useful today may not be so tomorrow, experimentation will have to become a permanent part of my spiritual discipline.



Among the many attitudes for relating to the world and to others, there are several which appear to be basic. Thus I find people who relate to the world in the following ways:



Outgoing or in turning

Practical or imaginative
Truth seeking or good seeking
Decisive or concerned


Using this framework, I will discuss some of the different kinds of prayer that seem to work best for people who relate to each way.



In turning Prayer
has traditionally been most discussed and written about. Almost all that you and I have heard about prayer has been of this type. I will spend more time with the other kinds. Much of the prayer for the other types will include this kind of in turning prayer.


Outgoing prayer
as its name indicates is discovering God in the world outside our inner self. It is a kind of journey outward rather than inward. This kind of journey is basically one of growing in awareness of the presence of God in all. It is becoming attuned to the presence and experiencing communion with the Trinity as operative in the world. There are three kinds of experiences which make this kind of prayer: Creation, Compassion, and Communion. Here are a few examples of the almost limitless possibilities.


Creation:
writing poetry; teaching someone; using any art form; studying, cooking, making bread, dancing, making love, gardening. Photographing, writing letters...


Compassion
: helping others where they decide they need help; being with others in their weakness and strength without judging; keeping others company in their journeys; counseling; serving as a spiritual friend; being friend; being a prophet fighting injustice; living in solidarity with the poor. (Exercise: If an appropriate person is available, I will take an Emmaus walk with that person. An Emmaus Walk (Lk 24:13-35) two people walking along talking about the things that Jesus has done in their life. It is a faith sharing of what has happened in my life because of my belief in Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus will walk with us, even though we may not recognize him.)


Communion: Contemplating nature: sunrise, sunset, beauty, music, enjoying poetry, practicing aerobics, swimming, being together, grieving with someone, holding hands, watch people, experiencing (sacrament) unity with good of any kind .


Outgoing prayer is a prayer of doing, of surrender to the will of God in the world, and participation in the pascal mystery of Jesus. I have not found this prayer to be an easy one for me. I suspect the problem is due to my own lack of experience in its use.

Part two will continue tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment